Friday, December 10, 2010

Quick update!

Yeah, I don't have a substantial post tonight, but I wanted to give a few shoutouts to some KADs because they've got some neat stuff to say! First, there's Megan's blog Korean Wannabe which you can also find under my blog list. She's going to Korea soon! I am trying not to be jealous, but might or might not live vicariously through her experience. Yup. And then there are three wonderful articles on the Awl by Sarah Idzik. There are so many interesting individuals out there giving voice to our shared experience. Please check out these links if you get the chance!

Also, I just realized that there's a girl on Glee who is a KAD! Grad school has sadly left me a little out of the pop culture loop, but even I know that Glee is the hottest thing since sliced bread. (For those of you who are unfamiliar, Glee is undoubtedly one of the most popular television shows in the US following the lives of teenagers in their high school's show choir.) The actress I'm speaking of is Jenna Ushkowitz. If you watch a Youtube video of her, you'll inevitably see comments from viewers along the lines of "She has a weird last name for an Asian". Gotta love it. At any rate, I think she's quite talented and I'm excited to see her having such success. I always perk up when I see KADs/TRAs making it as public figures in some capacity. If only to remind people that we exist. In the societies we live in, we will never be considered the dominant or majority group. By our mere existence, we create confusion in some people and challenge them to re-think what it is to be of a certain background. We challenge expectations and stereotypes. When thought of in those words, who we are is pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment