Sunday, June 20, 2010

The face(s) of politics

Just wanted to share this article which was recently featured on Yahoo. It's about the rise of Indian American politicians and the notion of these individuals 'whitewashing' themselves vs. embracing their Indian identities. You know, I like the point that was made about the fact that the US currently has a black president named Barack Hussein Obama. There's absolutely much more work to be done, but that Obama is even in office right now does indicate progress. I personally feel that America is, overall, a largely conservative society that has not yet learned how to celebrate diversity. No, not acknowledge, or even accept, but celebrate. Differences = beautiful. They don't need to be painted over, but seen for what they are in all their glory. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

More substantial post to come in later days. Life's been rough lately and I'm just bouncing back into reality. Reader, whoever you are, I hope life is treating you well!

No comments:

Post a Comment